Saturday, August 8, 2015

Summer reflecting and camp

Happy back to school season everyone! As I look back on our short summer and think about my lofty goals of getting so much done, like planning, writing, blogging and flipping art lessons, I have to say, I dropped the ball!!!! But I did do some great things. I was able to attend and present at the awesome FAAE summitt in Orlando where I met some awesome teachers from truly arts integrated middle and high schools in South Florida.  One science teacher in particular even shared a TON of lessons and resources that he used to integrate science and art at his school.  I was so thankful and grateful for that experience that I truly plan on using as many of the resources as possible this year.  
I ran a lot (which is one of my other passions besides art) and I got to participate in some cool sketchbook challenges from Twitter. Here is one from the jfj15for30 challenge.

I also got to teach some awesome art lessons at a fun summer camp at the St Augustine amphitheater for a week in July. Another art teacher and I got to teach two awesome and diverse groups of elementary students that ranged in age from kindergarten to 6th grade. We taught a morning session and an afternoon session. The room we were in was really neat AND had air conditioning! ( which is pretty nice in fl in July)  we were able to order and use a variety of media and create several cool projects that the campers got to take home on Friday.   Some of the projects included a Koinobori wind sock, an air dry clay slab owl, a canvas painting of the St. Augustine Lighthouse and a cool collaborative mural.  The projects turned out so great!  And I really hope to be able to participate again next summer!
Rolling out slabs
Artist campers and our post lunch shenanigans
St. Augustine Amphitheater- the amazing room we got to teach in- (although we made a bit of a mess....)
Clay Slab owls painted with metallic paints  and free sculptures
Unfinished collaborative mural
One of my fav campers of the week with our Koinobori!
Ms. Amy teaching us how to create our beautiful slab owls!
Terra Cotta Air Dry Clay Owls

No comments:

Post a Comment

Harper's Ferry