Friday, February 26, 2016

Art room attention grabber!!!


So I am just so excited about this that I had to share ! First I have to say that I am beyond grateful and excited to have a full time intern this semester, Sarah. I have been clinical educator certified for at least 6 years but have never gotten a full time intern for art. It has been one of the best experiences of my career. The level of professional collaboration and sharing has been immeasurable. I have learned just as much from her as she from me.

She has taken over designing instruction And lessons for each grade and they are amazing and so engaging!  To plan for this we looked at the Florida Art standards for each grade level that had not yet been covered.  The fourth graders needed collaborative and cultural art so we decided on a great Origami Village lesson from Blick that we began with students last week.

During one of classes, the fourth graders were being particularly loud and unproductive so we (both feeling weak in the classroom management sphere) decided to come up with a new routine that would allow us to get the whole classes' attention quickly and with 100 percent participation.  There are so many fun and creative attention grabbers out there but we wanted ours to also reinforce a specific art skill.

We decided on "red, yellow, blue (primary colors) eyes on you"


As the students say the words they have to clap for each word so we make sure that they stop working on whatever project they are working on.

It has worked so well that I just had to share!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Harper's Ferry