Friday, January 2, 2015

Happy New Year- and Publishing my first children's book !

I hope everyone had a safe and fun New Year! If you are like me, it is flying by too fast! I suppose that could be the case for me because I have been so busy getting ready for FETC (I will be co-presenting digital storytelling) . I also was determined to try to publish my first children's book. I have been dreaming of writing a children's book for as long as I could remember. In fact- going through the whole process reminded me a lot of the young Author's Program that I participated in when I was a kid. My young author's book "Sara and the Surfing Team" won first place when I was in elementary school and I was so thrilled! (I wish I knew where it was- I would love to read it again- and probably laugh) I guess what got me really thinking I could and should really try to publish are all the new tech tools and applications that make it so easy to publish something these days. The two platforms that you can use are- Kindle Direct Publishing which has a free application that you can download to you pc or computer.https://kdp.amazon.com/kids If you prefer the apple platform- on the iPad there is an app called Book Creator that you can use to easily create and share a book through the apple store. There is also always Teachers Pay Teachers but I really wanted to try the Kindle Platform. The concept of my book is based on an art lesson that I do with 2nd and 3rd grade- Prehistoric Cave Paintings. When I teach my students about cave paintings I use a great book called the Cave Painter of Lascaux by Roberta Angeletti. I also show them a website with an cool virtual tour of the cave and I refer to the Children's Book Art. While researching the lesson plan, I came across a cool story about how the cave was discovered by three boys and a dog named Robot in the 1950's. I always wished that there was a neat way to share this story with my students so that was the basis of my book, The Discovery of Lascaux. It is only roughly based on the story. All the pages were drawn in my sketchbook first with pencil, watercolor pencil and marker. Then
I scanned the pages into my computer and added the text using Gimp (an image editing software).  I really enjoyed the process and hope to do more (it may become a series!)  and even get my students in on the publishing business!  Afterall, they are super creative and have awesome ideas.    So check out my kindle book, The Discovery of Lascaux, told by Robot the dog, and let me know what you think!  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Harper's Ferry